St Mary's Parish Church takes the welfare of all people seriously. It is is committed to:
- The care, nurture of, and respectful pastoral ministry with, all children, young people and adults.
- The safeguarding and protection of all children, young people and adults.
- Being a safe and caring community which provides a loving environment where victims of abuse can report or disclose abuse and where they can find support and best practice that contributes to the prevention of abuse.
The Parochial Church Council has adopted the national Church of England House of Bishops’ policy, ‘Promoting a Safer Church’ – details of which can be found here: https://www.churchofengland.org/more/safeguarding/policy-practice-guidance
If you have a safeguarding concern, suspect or want to report abuse within the Church please contact either our safeguarding officer or the diocesan safeguarding advisor, both details are below.
Advice can be sought from the following download leaflet 'You Will Be Listened To'
The Diocese of Newcastle’s Safeguarding policies and procedures, together with national Church of England documents relating to Safeguarding, can be viewed on the Diocesan website: www.newcastle.anglican.org
If you suspect that a child or adult may be in danger, please contact the police immediately.
- NSPCC for adults concerned about a child - 0808 800 5000
- Childline for children and young people - 0800 1111
- Action on Elder Abuse helpline - 0808 808 8141
- 24-hour National Domestic Violence helpline - 0808 2000 247
- NAPAC offer support and advice to adult survivors of childhood abuse - 08088010331
- Stop It Now preventing child sexual abuse - 0808 1000 900
- Cruse bereavement helpline - 0808 808 1677
- Family Lives support and advice on family issues - 0808 800 222
- MACSAS for people who have been abused by church officers - 0808 801 0340
- Samaritans for people struggling to cope and needing someone to talk to - 116 123